The Sennheiser HD 660 S headphones are renowned for their exceptional sound quality and precise audio reproduction. Designed with audiophiles in mind, these headphones have found a special place among discerning gamers seeking an elevated gaming experience. In this review, we will delve into the pros, cons, technical aspects, material quality, and sound performance of the Sennheiser HD 660 S, highlighting why it stands as a top choice for gamers and audio enthusiasts alike.
- Audiophile-Grade Sound Reproduction: The HD 660 S delivers a stunning audio experience with its highly accurate sound signature. Featuring Sennheiser’s proprietary transducer technology, these headphones offer a wide soundstage, impressive detail retrieval, and excellent instrument separation. The balanced sound profile ensures that every subtle nuance and dynamic range in games and music is faithfully reproduced.
- Premium Material and Build Quality: Crafted with precision and attention to detail, the HD 660 S boasts high-quality materials throughout. The ear cups are made of lightweight aluminum, providing durability and a premium feel. The adjustable headband and plush velour ear pads ensure a comfortable fit for extended gaming sessions without causing discomfort or fatigue.
- Wide Compatibility and Versatility: The HD 660 S comes with a detachable cable featuring a 6.3mm (1/4″) jack, making it compatible with a variety of gaming devices, audio interfaces, and headphone amplifiers. The headphones have a relatively low impedance of 150 ohms, allowing them to be easily driven by most devices without the need for additional amplification.
- Limited Sound Isolation: The open-back design of the HD 660 S prioritizes natural sound reproduction and an expansive soundstage. However, this design choice results in minimal sound isolation, allowing some ambient noise to seep in and potentially disturb the immersive gaming experience, particularly in noisy environments.
Technical Aspects: The HD 660 S features an open-back, circumaural design that provides a spacious and natural soundstage. The headphones have a frequency response range of 10Hz to 41kHz, ensuring accurate reproduction of a wide range of frequencies. With an impedance of 150 ohms and a sensitivity of 104 dB, the HD 660 S delivers excellent audio performance without requiring additional amplification for most gaming setups.
- Type: Open-back, over-ear headphones
- Driver Type: Dynamic
- Frequency Response: 10Hz – 41kHz
- Impedance: 150 ohms
- Sensitivity: 104 dB
- Cable: Detachable 3m (9.8ft) cable with 6.3mm (1/4″) jack
- Weight: 260g (without cable)
Material Quality and Sound Performance: The Sennheiser HD 660 S showcases superior material quality, featuring lightweight aluminum ear cups that exude a sense of durability and refinement. The velour ear pads provide a comfortable fit while allowing breathability during long gaming sessions.
When it comes to sound performance, the HD 660 S truly shines. The headphones produce a detailed and balanced sound signature with exceptional clarity and accuracy. The precise imaging and instrument separation make it easier to pinpoint audio cues in games, enhancing spatial awareness and immersion. The well-extended frequency response ensures that both the delicate high frequencies and the impactful low frequencies are reproduced faithfully, resulting in a captivating and engaging audio experience.