The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x has established itself as a legendary pair of headphones known for its exceptional sound quality and versatile performance. Originally designed for studio use, these headphones have found a special place among gamers due to their immersive audio capabilities and durable build. In this review, we will explore the pros, cons, technical aspects, and specifications of the ATH-M50x, highlighting why it continues to be a popular choice for gamers and audio enthusiasts alike.
- Impeccable Sound Quality: The ATH-M50x excels in delivering accurate and detailed sound reproduction across the entire frequency spectrum. The proprietary 45mm large-aperture drivers provide a wide frequency response, resulting in a rich and immersive audio experience. Whether you’re gaming, listening to music, or watching movies, the soundstage is captivating and precise.
- Durable Construction: Built to withstand the demands of professional use, the ATH-M50x features a robust build quality. The headphones are constructed with solid materials, including metal reinforcement at critical points. The swiveling ear cups and foldable design allow for convenient storage and transportation without compromising structural integrity.
- Comfortable Fit for Extended Gaming Sessions: The ATH-M50x is designed with long gaming sessions in mind. The ear cups are well-padded with plush cushioning, providing excellent comfort even during hours of continuous use. The adjustable headband ensures a secure and personalized fit for various head sizes, while the ear cups’ rotation allows for a better ergonomic fit.
- Lack of Detachable Cable: One notable drawback of the ATH-M50x is the absence of a detachable cable. This can be inconvenient if the cable gets damaged, as it requires replacing the entire cable assembly. However, the included coiled cable is of high quality and offers adequate length for most gaming setups.
Technical Aspects: The ATH-M50x features a closed-back, over-ear design that provides excellent noise isolation, immersing you in your gaming experience without distractions. The headphones have a nominal impedance of 38 ohms, making them easily drivable by most devices without the need for additional amplification. The frequency response ranges from 15Hz to 28kHz, ensuring a wide coverage of audible frequencies for accurate audio reproduction.
- Type: Closed-back, over-ear headphones
- Driver Diameter: 45mm
- Frequency Response: 15Hz – 28kHz
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Sensitivity: 99 dB
- Cable: Detachable 1.2m – 3m coiled cable, 3m straight cable, and 1.2m straight cable included
- Weight: 285g (without cable)